Monday, May 28, 2012

Homemade White Cheddar Cheese-its

Yes, it's true.  You CAN make your own cheese-its at home!  They're way better than store-bought ones, and therefore disappear faster...
I had a giant block of free white cheddar cheese lying around from competing in the Grilled Cheese Invitational, so that's what I used for this.  Oh, and here was my sandwich that I entered:
It was called "A Cheesy Romance"
Anyway,

White Cheddar Cheese-its
makes about 2 cups
Adapted from A Golden Afternoon

8 oz white cheddar cheese (or really, most cheeses will work), shredded
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup flour
2 tbs cold water

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream together cheese, salt, and butter.  Add flour, and mix until it looks like crumbs.  Add water, and mix so that a dough is formed, adding more water if absolutely needed.
3. Roll out dough on a floured surface so that it's 1/8 inch thick.  Cut as desired.  I made boring squares because I know they wouldn't make it off the pan.  However, my artist roommate painstakingly made fancy ones (see below)
4. Put crackers on a cookie sheet (I used parchment paper, but maybe you don't need it?) and bake for 12 minutes.  Try not to burn your mouth on the hot crackers!

They're best on the day you bake them but they're still good for a few days (If they last that long!)

(Habanero cheddar flower-shaped cheese-its)

No comments:

Post a Comment